perjantai 28. helmikuuta 2020

Jewelry Making For Beginners, Part 1

I got an idea to write jewelry making for beginners serie since I bet some of my readers would love to know what tools and materials they will need if they start to make own jewelry.

Many consider jewelry making as a fun hobby which can bring you some extra money too if you like to make them for sale. Otherwise, jewelry making is relaxing hobby and you only need few tools as starting. I have make my own jewelry past 37 years but not consistently all the time. When I opened my first Etsy shop in 2012 I started to make my own jewelry for sale and more consistently. Jewelry making skills will improve only by making jewelry and those people who enjoys to make something with their hand would most likely love to make their own jewelry. Jewelry making is creative and there isn’t right or wrong way to make jewelry. Best part is lots of experimenting and constant learning new techniques.

So today I will write about those few jewelry tools that you will need before starting to make your own jewelry.

Best tools are ergonomic friendly for your hand so I’m recommending to buy tools that have long grip. My first tools were mini size and they worked fine but my hand tired a lot when I made many jewelry per day or bending those eye pins for earrings.

Best tools I’ve bought are BeadSmith tools that have lasted for years now and they are good quality pliers. Plus their price isn’t so high. 



Chain nose pliers

Chain nose pliers are good plier to hold any jewelry, good pair with flat nose plier to open and close jump rings. This plier is also good help for adjusting jump rings since sometimes jump ring’s ends may not meet together and you need to adjust it little bit. Chain nose pliers are also good for bending wires and I use this plier to grip chain link if I need specific chain length. Many jewelry makers just cut chains but I don’t like to waist anything so I preferably use chains that have openable links.

These pliers have narrow tip, inside the pliers are smooth which doesn’t scratch jewelry parts. Beadsmith pliers have spring that returns pliers open after being pressed. Pliers stay new no matter how many times you use them. Pliers have long ergonomic grip that makes these pliers comfortable to use.


Flat nose pliers

Flat nose pliers have little wider tip than chain nose pliers and this plier is good for holding any jewelry piece, open and close jump rings. I’ve used this plier also for straightening the wire if I needed to straighten it just a little bit. Also sometimes the jump ring may not go evenly close so I have used this pliers for adjusting the jump ring ends so that they will go nicely together.

These pliers have are smooth inside so they will not scratch any jewelry parts. These pliers have spring too which returns the plier in its original position after you have pressed. Long grip makes these pliers hand friendly and comfortable to use if you make a lot of jewelry.


Round nose pliers

Round nose pliers have round tips and this plier is good for bending any loop for your jewelry. This plier have smooth surface which doesn’t scratch your jewelry piece. I’ve also used this plier to forming back jump rings that sometimes has lost their shape. 

Round nose pliers have spring too which returns the plier in its original position after press. Long grip gives good hold any jewelry or wire that you need to bend. Long grip are ergonomic and hand friendly to use.


Cutter pliers

I bought my cutter plier from hardware store where I got it reasonably price. It will not cut memory wire since it’s most hardest wire to cut. There are available memory wire cutter plier but haven’t try them since I don’t make much memory wire jewelry. Other wires this cutter cuts well and I’m happy with narrow tips which allows me cut any wire or jewelry pins exactly where I wanted.

My cutter plier actually belong electricity tools but have worked well also for jewelry making. 

With these four tools you can start to make your own jewelry. There are lots of places where you can buy the pliers. I would highly recommend long grip pliers for home and if you need to take your jewelry making supplies with you let’s say car trip or sale events, short grip tools are fine for that. 

Finnish places to buy jewelry pliers:


Worldwide places to buy jewelry pliers:

Amazon
BeeBeeCraft
Jewelry Tools
Alexnld
eBay
RioGrange
PandaHall

I only mentioned few places since I don´t know all the places where you can buy jewelry tools. Even good grocery store may have some jewelry pliers or local bookstore. Nowadays, there are many places where you can find the pliers and I would recommend that you go to see your first pliers in person so you can see and feel it in your hand.

I hope this blog post help you get started with jewelry making and feel free to leave your favorite jewelry supply shop link in the comment box.

~ Minna





Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti